In Part 2 of this lesson, Mike Marshall shows the students his process for changing strings. He shows them everything from what brand of strings, and what size he prefers. He shows them how to take strings off and put new ones on. And he even shows what use he has for his leg stool during the process.
- Then I go to the other side.…Bring that case around…so that I get my right leg up,…then I'm gonna take the E strings off.…As I'm unwinding it, I'm holding it back here…and unlooping it.…Now these, because they're unwound strings,…I do the fancy double back loop…that seems to hold them a little more in place,…and I'll explain that in a minute.…Get the strings off, wind them,…put them in the trash pile…get a fresh E string,…packaging, unwind the ball-end side,…hold the ball-end side, give it a little flick,…lay them out so the ball-ends are over here…by the tail piece…and then I start with the first E string,…put it on the loop, put it in the slot,…and this is a trick…that I learned from my buddy Richard Jefferson in Australia.…
Put the string in.…Now we're gonna double this back…around and we're gonna hook it under…the string and then double it back on it,…hook it back on itself.…And again I'm holding it with the,…a little hard to see this maybe,…holding with the second and third finger…and the index finger's guiding it…
This course is part two of the Mandolin Lessons series, which includes hundreds of lessons, exclusive performances, and special guest interviews. Make sure to check out the exercise files for downloadable tab, audio samples, and other study materials.
Note: This course was created and produced by ArtistWorks. We are honored to host this training in our library.
- Adjusting your action
- Changing strings and tuning the mandolin
- Playing a 1-6-2-5 progression
- Understanding moveable chords
- Practicing mandolin
- Playing blues on the mandolin
- Playing kickoffs
Skill Level Beginner
1. Gear and Setup
2. More Fun with Theory
3. Intermediate Mandolin Tunes
5. The Blues
ArtistWorks and Next Steps1m 15s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.