In Part 1 of this lesson, Mike Marshall shows the students his process for changing strings. He shows them everything from what brand of strings, and what size he prefers. He shows them how to take strings off and put new ones on. And he even shows what use he has for his leg stool during the process.
- Hi. Now we're gonna change strings.…I've got my little trusty…Lynn Dudenbostel string winder here.…Thank you, Lynn.…Fits in the gears.…The normal plastic ones you buy…at any guitar shop work great, too.…But, they're a little bit floppy,…'cause they're a little bit bigger for guitar size tuners.…Anyway, what I like to do is.…Well, I change strings pretty often, I guess you'd say.…I'm a…D'addario user.…And I'm currently back to the J 74s.…
I have fluctuated between…74s and 75s.…Sometimes I use an 11 1/2 16 26 41.…But these are 11 15…26 40.…Tiny bit lighter.…So, when I use these I might raise my action a little bit.…And when I use the heavier strings,…I might lower the action a little bit.…What I do is I always make two piles…someplace near me.…With the things that I'm gonna be throwin' away,…packaging materials, and old strings and whatnot.…
Got my…G strings here,…both of them.…Unwind them, by simply grabbing the ball end.…The loop end, 'scuse me.…And I lay them on my lap.…And I grab one of 'em.…Put it on the little…little tailpiece hook,…
This course is part two of the Mandolin Lessons series, which includes hundreds of lessons, exclusive performances, and special guest interviews. Make sure to check out the exercise files for downloadable tab, audio samples, and other study materials.
Note: This course was created and produced by ArtistWorks. We are honored to host this training in our library.
- Adjusting your action
- Changing strings and tuning the mandolin
- Playing a 1-6-2-5 progression
- Understanding moveable chords
- Practicing mandolin
- Playing blues on the mandolin
- Playing kickoffs
Skill Level Beginner
1. Gear and Setup
2. More Fun with Theory
3. Intermediate Mandolin Tunes
5. The Blues
ArtistWorks and Next Steps1m 15s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.