In part 2 of this lesson, Mike goes over the blues scale in this lesson. He describes the blues as a feeling that we all have at one point or another throughout life and this makes blues music extremely relatable. He then gives many examples of licks using the blues scales to help illustrate the point to the students.
- So all of that, what we just did, was all in the key of G.…All right, it was all a G, G blues.…There was no chord changes yet,…we just had a nice little drone going.…So the main points I want to make is that…with the blues how much you can get out of how little.…And that's probably the key to playing the blues.…Is to not try to get too many notes in there.…And it's kind of remarkable…how much you can get out of just G and B flat.…
And there's kind of a mystery note, the B flat note,…between the B flat and the B, the minor third…and the major third is this kind of hidden bluesy sound…which is neither B flat nor B natural.…B flat is almost a little too flat…and B natural is a little too sharp.…So if you had a fiddle,…you'd actually put your finger right between that.…So on the mandolin we've got to somehow…pretend that we're doing that,…and that's a product of sliding mostly hitting the B flat.…
It's maybe rolling it a little into the B.…If you're all familiar with the sound,…(bluesy mandolin music)…Just by doing a slight hammer up to the B…
This course is part two of the Mandolin Lessons series, which includes hundreds of lessons, exclusive performances, and special guest interviews. Make sure to check out the exercise files for downloadable tab, audio samples, and other study materials.
Note: This course was created and produced by ArtistWorks. We are honored to host this training in our library.
- Adjusting your action
- Changing strings and tuning the mandolin
- Playing a 1-6-2-5 progression
- Understanding moveable chords
- Practicing mandolin
- Playing blues on the mandolin
- Playing kickoffs
Skill Level Beginner
1. Gear and Setup
2. More Fun with Theory
3. Intermediate Mandolin Tunes
5. The Blues
ArtistWorks and Next Steps1m 15s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.