In part 1 of this lesson, Mike goes over the blues scale in this lesson. He describes the blues as a feeling that we all have at one point or another throughout life and this makes blues music extremely relatable. He then gives many examples of licks using the blues scales to help illustrate the point to the students.
- Let's talk about the blues.…The blues.…I woke up this morning, we all woke up this morning.…That is the blues and everybody has had them.…Blues is really a style of music,…but it's also an attitude and it's an…emotional feeling as much as it is…a technical thing, as much as it is a scale…or a set of chords.…You can play the blues just by playing one chord,…(blues music)…and howling.…
Moaning your problems, whatever it is.…♫ There's too many people on the road today…♫ My girlfriend left me ♫ (music)…And that is the blues, we all know the blues.…Finding it, to me it's all about connecting…your melodic mind to the instrument,…and I'd love to start by just…simply playing an open G string (blues music)…and doing some call in response.…You answer me. (blues music and singing)…Now you play that.…
(blues music and singing)…Now you play that.…(blues music and singing)…We're gonna work our way up the finger board.…(blues music and singing)…Just imagine somebody's droning a low G under all that.…(blues music and singing)…
This course is part two of the Mandolin Lessons series, which includes hundreds of lessons, exclusive performances, and special guest interviews. Make sure to check out the exercise files for downloadable tab, audio samples, and other study materials.
Note: This course was created and produced by ArtistWorks. We are honored to host this training in our library.
- Adjusting your action
- Changing strings and tuning the mandolin
- Playing a 1-6-2-5 progression
- Understanding moveable chords
- Practicing mandolin
- Playing blues on the mandolin
- Playing kickoffs
Skill Level Beginner
1. Gear and Setup
2. More Fun with Theory
3. Intermediate Mandolin Tunes
5. The Blues
ArtistWorks and Next Steps1m 15s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.