In this lesson, Mike talks about action. Action is the amount of space between then frets on the neck and the strings. Mike shows the students how to set the action on their mandolins, and offers his thoughts on the optimal action settings.
- Hello.…I'd like to talk a little bit about setup.…And, particularly,…adjusting your action on your mandolin.…And that's something that some people are afraid of.…And if you are, I would, of course,…recommend that you go to your local luthier…or a good acoustic music shop,…and have them do it for you.…But, I do it myself.…In terms of raising and lowering the bridge.…It changes a lot…as I travel around the world.…
For instance, I was just in Colorado,…and it's a very dry climate there.…Whenever I go to a dry place,…it seems like the action goes down.…I guess the water.…The moisture inside the wood…goes away 'cause of the dry climate.…And that makes everything sink.…And the bridge goes down,…and the strings start buzzing on the fingerboard…because of that.…When I go to a place like Colorado I'll…have to raise the bridge up just a little bit.…I'm gonna attempt to demonstrate for you…how I do that.…
After years and years of playing this thing,…I've developed a little system.…What I do is I turn the outside pairs of strings,…
This course is part two of the Mandolin Lessons series, which includes hundreds of lessons, exclusive performances, and special guest interviews. Make sure to check out the exercise files for downloadable tab, audio samples, and other study materials.
Note: This course was created and produced by ArtistWorks. We are honored to host this training in our library.
- Adjusting your action
- Changing strings and tuning the mandolin
- Playing a 1-6-2-5 progression
- Understanding moveable chords
- Practicing mandolin
- Playing blues on the mandolin
- Playing kickoffs
Skill Level Beginner
1. Gear and Setup
2. More Fun with Theory
3. Intermediate Mandolin Tunes
5. The Blues
ArtistWorks and Next Steps1m 15s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.