Join Jared Meeker for an in-depth discussion in this video Add9 chords, part of Acoustic Guitar Lessons: Intermediate.
- All right, now for the add9 chords.…This has sort of been dubbed the…"secret chord of the stars",…but it definitely has this really nice jangly sound to it.…And basically an add9 chord just adds a note that is…nine notes away from the root.…So check out a Cadd9 chord.…(guitar strums)…Now this is different than a C9 chord.…Typically that would be like a dominant chord…and we have the root, third,…fifth, flat seven, and the nine.…
If you have an add9 chord, there's no seventh.…It's just the root, third, fifth, and then the ninth.…Okay, also this is different than a sus2 chord…which just is root, second, and the fifth.…Even though the second up an octave is the ninth,…really you're just playing the straight up major chord…with a ninth note added.…Let's check out the next example which uses…a whole bunch of different add9 chords.…This is called "Make Mine Add9".…I hope you enjoy it.…
One, two, three,…(guitar playing)…
- Flatpicking arpeggios
- Tuning with harmonics
- Bending strings and vibrato
- Creating a monster funk groove
- Blurring the line between rhythm and lead
- Mapping the fretboard in boxes
- Getting creative with open strings
Skill Level Intermediate
1. New Colors and Textures
2. New Grooves and Styles
3. Pentatonic Possibilities
4. Mapping the Fretboard in Boxes
6. Introducing Alternate Tunings
Conclusion and credits2m 22s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.