Understanding the basic function of the filter: to selectively remove harmonics produced by our oscillators
- Next in our common subtractive synthesizer patch…is the filter.…What the filter does is remove, or filter out,…some of the harmonics coming from your oscillators.…The most common filter is the low pass filter.…What it does is pass, untouched, the lower frequencies…or harmonics, then at a certain point, starts to remove…some of the higher harmonics.…That magic point is called the corner,…or cutoff frequency, and we're going to explore…changing the cutoff and its effect on the sound…in this movie.…The next few movies after this one, we're going to…play around with different filter shapes…and different filter slopes.…
And play around with filter resonance.…Actually adding to the strength of some harmonics.…We're getting ahead of ourselves.…Let's dive into filter cutoff first.…I'm going to take one of our waveform outputs,…I'm going to start with sawtooth since it has…the most harmonics and the strongest harmonics,…and take it into the filter input.…And I already have it's input slide up all the way…and it's frequency, the corner frequency or cutoff…
This course will be based around the widely available Roland SYSTEM-500 Eurorack-standard synthesizer modules, complemented with modules from several other manufacturers. As most modules, synthesizer keyboards, and plugins are designed around the same principles, this course lets you dig deeper into synthesis and programming your sounds regardless of the equipment you own.
- Putting a system together
- Getting sound in and out
- Patching a typical synthesizer "voice"
- Tuning voltage-controlled oscillators (VCOs)
- Working with waveforms
- Using filters
- Exploring frequency modulation, waveshaping, oscillator sync, effects, and more
Skill Level Beginner
Learning Synth Programming: Beyond the Basicswith Scott Hirsch1h 54m Intermediate
1. Putting a System Together
2. Learning Subtractive Synthesis
3. Exploring Alternate Techniques
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.