Develop an ear for the differences in the basic waveforms including understanding their harmonic structure and their implications.
- At the end of the last movie, we had fun tuning…multiple oscillators to different musical intervals…to create different sounds out of our modular synth.…But the most common way to get a different sound…is to use a different waveform out of the oscillator.…You see, each oscillator typically has…several different waveforms or wave shapes…that it can produce, and each one of those…has a unique set of harmonics.…Different harmonics, different sound,…and that's what we're after, creating different sounds.…So the next few movies are going to be dedicated…to familiarizing you with what…different waveforms sound like.…
In this movie, we're going to tackle the most common…classic analog oscillator waveforms,…followed by sine waves in the next movie.…And then we'll branch out into digital oscillators,…which really open up your sonic pallet,…and what sort of sounds you can get out of your synth.…You see I already have my mini-keyboard…connected to the control voltage input on my oscillator.…I'm going to start with the sawtooth wave,…
This course will be based around the widely available Roland SYSTEM-500 Eurorack-standard synthesizer modules, complemented with modules from several other manufacturers. As most modules, synthesizer keyboards, and plugins are designed around the same principles, this course lets you dig deeper into synthesis and programming your sounds regardless of the equipment you own.
- Putting a system together
- Getting sound in and out
- Patching a typical synthesizer "voice"
- Tuning voltage-controlled oscillators (VCOs)
- Working with waveforms
- Using filters
- Exploring frequency modulation, waveshaping, oscillator sync, effects, and more
Skill Level Beginner
Learning Synth Programming: Beyond the Basicswith Scott Hirsch1h 54m Intermediate
1. Putting a System Together
2. Learning Subtractive Synthesis
3. Exploring Alternate Techniques
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.