Explore this alternate synthesis approach of adding harmonics to simple waveforms, rather than removing (filtering) them from complex waves.
- In general, the approach of starting with the…simple wave form and then adding complexity to it…rather than starting with the complex wave form…and filtering things out is referred to as…the West Coast approach to synthesis.…Mainly because West Coast companies such as…Buchla and Serge based out of California…followed this approach in their machines.…One classic West Coast approach is called…waveshaping, starting with something very simple,…like a sine wave for a triangle and…then running it through various electronic circuits…to bend that waveform and in the process…create additional harmonic spectra.…
Let's explore some classic wave shaping…techniques in this movie.…First we're going to explore a pair of techniques…called half-wave and full-wave rectification.…In this case I have a very simple triangle wave…coming out of my braids and I'm running…it into an expert sleepers disting…in what's called comparator mode.…It's basically looking for what's the highest…voltage, the wave form coming into it,…or my little DC control here, my DC voltage, and passing…
This course will be based around the widely available Roland SYSTEM-500 Eurorack-standard synthesizer modules, complemented with modules from several other manufacturers. As most modules, synthesizer keyboards, and plugins are designed around the same principles, this course lets you dig deeper into synthesis and programming your sounds regardless of the equipment you own.
- Putting a system together
- Getting sound in and out
- Patching a typical synthesizer "voice"
- Tuning voltage-controlled oscillators (VCOs)
- Working with waveforms
- Using filters
- Exploring frequency modulation, waveshaping, oscillator sync, effects, and more
Skill Level Beginner
Learning Synth Programming: Beyond the Basicswith Scott Hirsch1h 54m Intermediate
1. Putting a System Together
2. Learning Subtractive Synthesis
3. Exploring Alternate Techniques
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.