Creating precise vibrato (pitch variation) plus LFO sync (triggering) and LFO delay
- Vibrato, where you use an LFO…to control an oscillator's pitch, is easy to patch,…but can be tricky to dial in just right,…particularly if you want to do something like…precise octave jumps.…I'll show you the patch…and what I had to do to tweak it.…To create a vibrato effect where I jump between octaves,…I'm taking this square wave out from my LFO,…and I had to reduce its amount,…so it only jumped one volt plus and minus,…because one volt is one octave.…I had difficulty tuning it in precisely…using one of these small sliders…on the input stage of my VCO,…so instead I actually ran it through my voltage processor,…and then from the voltage processor to the VCO…and used the dial here to carefully dial it in.…
I found it a little bit easier to control,…just something personal.…I then hooked up the output to a tuner,…I played a note on my controller keyboard,…(low note)…And then I carefully tuned the amount on my level control…until I saw the tuner give me exactly one octave of a jump.…I turned my LFO really low so I had more time…
This course will be based around the widely available Roland SYSTEM-500 Eurorack-standard synthesizer modules, complemented with modules from several other manufacturers. As most modules, synthesizer keyboards, and plugins are designed around the same principles, this course lets you dig deeper into synthesis and programming your sounds regardless of the equipment you own.
- Putting a system together
- Getting sound in and out
- Patching a typical synthesizer "voice"
- Tuning voltage-controlled oscillators (VCOs)
- Working with waveforms
- Using filters
- Exploring frequency modulation, waveshaping, oscillator sync, effects, and more
Skill Level Beginner
Synth Programming: Beyond the Basicswith Scott Hirsch1h 54m Intermediate
Performing with Ableton Live: On Stage with St. Vincentwith Daniel Mintseris2h 4m Appropriate for all
1. Putting a System Together
2. Learning Subtractive Synthesis
3. Exploring Alternate Techniques
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.