Using looping envelopes and even sequencers to produce LFO-like modulations
- It is indeed handy to have a lot of modulation…sources in your modular synth to create…a lot of motion in your sound.…But what you might not be aware of is that…your envelope generator can also act as an LFO…and even your sequencer can act…as a very complex LFO.…So let's explore those ideas.…This time in my patch, I have a square wave…coming out of the Roland analog oscillator…and a wave table from the braids.…(repeated electronic note)…I'd like to get some more motion in this sound,…and as we saw earlier, I can use something like…pulse-width modulation…(note with sustain)…to add a little bit more chorusing,…a little bit more motion.…
But what I'd really like to do is have something…going on with this wavetable here.…(wavetable note)…Have some motion going through that.…Now, one easy way to get motion is…to take our keyboard trigger, have it trigger an envelope,…and take that envelope and use that…to scan through our wavetables.…(electronic note)…Increase the amount here.…(high-pitched note transitions to warbly lower note)…
This course will be based around the widely available Roland SYSTEM-500 Eurorack-standard synthesizer modules, complemented with modules from several other manufacturers. As most modules, synthesizer keyboards, and plugins are designed around the same principles, this course lets you dig deeper into synthesis and programming your sounds regardless of the equipment you own.
- Putting a system together
- Getting sound in and out
- Patching a typical synthesizer "voice"
- Tuning voltage-controlled oscillators (VCOs)
- Working with waveforms
- Using filters
- Exploring frequency modulation, waveshaping, oscillator sync, effects, and more
Skill Level Beginner
Learning Synth Programming: Beyond the Basicswith Scott Hirsch1h 54m Intermediate
1. Putting a System Together
2. Learning Subtractive Synthesis
3. Exploring Alternate Techniques
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.