Create inharmonic metallic sounds using ring modulation.
- Now let's play with amplitude modulation.…Again, you say, "Hey, a few movies ago…"we did tremolo, we did an LFO changing the loudness…"of an oscillator."…But when that second oscillator is up at audio rates,…very strange things happen.…When one oscillator is changing the loudness…of another oscillator, at audio frequencies, they add…together their frequencies and subtract them…from each other.…So if you had, say, a harmonic of 100 hertz…and another harmonic at 200 hertz,…the result would be one plus two, 300,…and two minus one, 100 hertz.…
One and three, totally different harmonic spectrum.…If they aren't tuned at nice intervals, you get…strange metallic harmonics.…Now, you may try to do this with a normal VCA…but you'll run into some issues.…One, your normal voltage-controlled amplifier…may not be able to change loudness fast enough…to keep up with an audio-rate oscillator.…Two, most voltage-controlled amplifiers…don't go below zero.…You hit zero volts, they stop right there,…they don't put out any sound.…So you'll need a special module called…
This course will be based around the widely available Roland SYSTEM-500 Eurorack-standard synthesizer modules, complemented with modules from several other manufacturers. As most modules, synthesizer keyboards, and plugins are designed around the same principles, this course lets you dig deeper into synthesis and programming your sounds regardless of the equipment you own.
- Putting a system together
- Getting sound in and out
- Patching a typical synthesizer "voice"
- Tuning voltage-controlled oscillators (VCOs)
- Working with waveforms
- Using filters
- Exploring frequency modulation, waveshaping, oscillator sync, effects, and more
Skill Level Beginner
Learning Synth Programming: Beyond the Basicswith Scott Hirsch1h 54m Intermediate
Performing with Ableton Live: On Stage with St. Vincentwith Daniel Mintseris2h 4m Appropriate for all
1. Putting a System Together
2. Learning Subtractive Synthesis
3. Exploring Alternate Techniques
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.