Using LFOs to create a chorusing effect with PWM
- [Voiceover] One idea that I touched on…back in the movie on oscillator wave shapes…was the idea of the changing the pulse width…of the square wave or something light or LFOs.…Here I've set up a simple sequence with two oscillators…set to square waves tuned to an integral.…(electronic beeping music)…Here I have them set at full square waves.…I can try them at different settings like full pulses.…A few different sounds.…(electronic beeping music)…It's much more fun if I could move this continuously.…
You hear that chorusing sound you get?…Rather than doing this…with my finger nonstop an entire song,…let's focus on one oscillator.…We'll play around with taking different LFO wave shapes…and driving that pulse width.…I'll start with the most common wave shape or an LFO.…The triangle.…The pulse width modulation in.…(electronic beeping music)…Hear that chorusing sound?…There's no chorus involved in this patch.…That is just the LFO changing the width of the pulse.…
I can slow it down.…Make it very fast and worried.…There's that real nervous high-tension sound.…
This course will be based around the widely available Roland SYSTEM-500 Eurorack-standard synthesizer modules, complemented with modules from several other manufacturers. As most modules, synthesizer keyboards, and plugins are designed around the same principles, this course lets you dig deeper into synthesis and programming your sounds regardless of the equipment you own.
- Putting a system together
- Getting sound in and out
- Patching a typical synthesizer "voice"
- Tuning voltage-controlled oscillators (VCOs)
- Working with waveforms
- Using filters
- Exploring frequency modulation, waveshaping, oscillator sync, effects, and more
Skill Level Beginner
Learning Synth Programming: Beyond the Basicswith Scott Hirsch1h 54m Intermediate
1. Putting a System Together
2. Learning Subtractive Synthesis
3. Exploring Alternate Techniques
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.