Show how a modular symthesizer can modify external sounds, beyond just creating its own.
- You don't have to use oscillators as your sound…source in your modular synth.…You can bring in sounds from the outside…including samples, loops, other instruments, etc.,…and process them through your synth.…Let's try that now using some drum loops.…I'm enabled in Live and I have some loops…from the drummer Brain loaded up.…Let's start them playing.…(Drum Beats)…That's the output from Live.…Let's wrap that over to my external…outs that go through my synth.…(Drum Beats)…I now have my audio interface coming into…an input on the Chaos device's Sewastopol input module.…
There's my control. Make sure I'm not quite…overloading here.…Let's start processing this through say,…my filter.…I'll take the audio out,…Into my filter in.…Then take my filter out…and go back to my audio out.…(Muffled drum beats)…Again, this is a low-pass filter,…so only low harmonics, or low frequencies…are getting through.…(Drum Beats)…It so happens the Roland filter also has…a high pass filter on a switch…that cuts out low frequencies.…
Then got that thin, tinny sound,…
This course will be based around the widely available Roland SYSTEM-500 Eurorack-standard synthesizer modules, complemented with modules from several other manufacturers. As most modules, synthesizer keyboards, and plugins are designed around the same principles, this course lets you dig deeper into synthesis and programming your sounds regardless of the equipment you own.
- Putting a system together
- Getting sound in and out
- Patching a typical synthesizer "voice"
- Tuning voltage-controlled oscillators (VCOs)
- Working with waveforms
- Using filters
- Exploring frequency modulation, waveshaping, oscillator sync, effects, and more
Skill Level Beginner
Learning Synth Programming: Beyond the Basicswith Scott Hirsch1h 54m Intermediate
Performing with Ableton Live: On Stage with St. Vincentwith Daniel Mintseris2h 4m Appropriate for all
1. Putting a System Together
2. Learning Subtractive Synthesis
3. Exploring Alternate Techniques
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.