Explain two primary ways to play notes on a modular synth: a MIDI to CV/Gate converter, and a typical modular sequencer.
- Now let's talk about how you would actually…play your modular synth.…The first thing we should talk about is…that most modular synth patches are monophonic.…It'll only play one note at a time.…So, keep that in mind.…Now, if you have enough modules, you might be able to play,…say, two notes at a time, or you could create…several different monophonic voices…that could all be played simultaneously…inside the same system.…Beyond that, you can hook up an external…keyboard controller to it, you can connect it…to your computer, or you can get modules that allow…you to play it, touch keyboards and touch interfaces,…or one of my favorite tools, a sequencer…to drive repetitive cycling musical lines.…
One of the most common options is to add…a MIDI converter to your modular system.…This is something that will take…MIDI signals in and convert it…to control voltages and gates to correspond…to the notes that you're playing.…Some converters also support MIDI clocks, as well as…other control signals, such as a modulation wheel,…
This course will be based around the widely available Roland SYSTEM-500 Eurorack-standard synthesizer modules, complemented with modules from several other manufacturers. As most modules, synthesizer keyboards, and plugins are designed around the same principles, this course lets you dig deeper into synthesis and programming your sounds regardless of the equipment you own.
- Putting a system together
- Getting sound in and out
- Patching a typical synthesizer "voice"
- Tuning voltage-controlled oscillators (VCOs)
- Working with waveforms
- Using filters
- Exploring frequency modulation, waveshaping, oscillator sync, effects, and more
Skill Level Beginner
Learning Synth Programming: Beyond the Basicswith Scott Hirsch1h 54m Intermediate
1. Putting a System Together
2. Learning Subtractive Synthesis
3. Exploring Alternate Techniques
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.