Demonstrate a classic modular synth effect - phase shifting - and using voltage control to manually vary it
- It's common practice to take…the output of your modular and run…it into your digital audio work station…or into a mixer and then external effects.…Reverb in particular sounds nice on a modular synth,…Something very dense or nice and shimmering.…However, several manufacturers make…effects units as modules that you can…include as part of your system.…Once you have that, well, now you've got…voltage control and you can start…playing around with making it part of your performance.…We're going to start with the phase shifter.…The effect was very popular from…the earliest days of modular synthesis.…
But first, let me describe this patch.…I have oscillators tuned at one octave intervals…set to square waves, mixed into the input…of a low pass filter, very little resonance,…a little bit of fast envelope,…changing its color frequency.…That's going into our VCA…with a bit longer decay and release,…and currently, that's going straight to our audio.…And I have the gate from our keyboard…triggering both of the envelopes.…Let's reroute the audio into the phase shifter.…
This course will be based around the widely available Roland SYSTEM-500 Eurorack-standard synthesizer modules, complemented with modules from several other manufacturers. As most modules, synthesizer keyboards, and plugins are designed around the same principles, this course lets you dig deeper into synthesis and programming your sounds regardless of the equipment you own.
- Putting a system together
- Getting sound in and out
- Patching a typical synthesizer "voice"
- Tuning voltage-controlled oscillators (VCOs)
- Working with waveforms
- Using filters
- Exploring frequency modulation, waveshaping, oscillator sync, effects, and more
Skill Level Beginner
Learning Synth Programming: Beyond the Basicswith Scott Hirsch1h 54m Intermediate
1. Putting a System Together
2. Learning Subtractive Synthesis
3. Exploring Alternate Techniques
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.