Become aware that some digital oscillators offer completely new synthesis techniques, including physical modeling.
- Well, we've been on quite a journey…from East Coast to West Coast…covering subtractive synthesis, wave table, FM and AM.…However, there's even more synthesis techniques…that you can explore inside your modular synths.…Particularly thanks to the introduction of DSP.…A lot of people are making digital modules…that can emulate a wide variety of different techniques.…And you can have fun including them as part of your modular.…Let's explore just a few of them right now before we leave.…I'm going to turn back to our trusty Braids,…which is called a macro oscillator.…That's because it emulates…many different synthesis techniques…behind that one little panel.…
For example, it has several different vocal modes.…Vocal synthesis is quite popular these days.…With several modules and filters available…to recreate vocal sounds.…Turn up the amplifier on this one.…(buzzing)…It has several controls.…(buzzing distorts)…Here's another model.…(buzzing distorts)…And a third.…
(buzzing distorts)…In addition to these vocal techniques,…
This course will be based around the widely available Roland SYSTEM-500 Eurorack-standard synthesizer modules, complemented with modules from several other manufacturers. As most modules, synthesizer keyboards, and plugins are designed around the same principles, this course lets you dig deeper into synthesis and programming your sounds regardless of the equipment you own.
- Putting a system together
- Getting sound in and out
- Patching a typical synthesizer "voice"
- Tuning voltage-controlled oscillators (VCOs)
- Working with waveforms
- Using filters
- Exploring frequency modulation, waveshaping, oscillator sync, effects, and more
Skill Level Beginner
Synth Programming: Beyond the Basicswith Scott Hirsch1h 54m Intermediate
Performing with Ableton Live: On Stage with St. Vincentwith Daniel Mintseris2h 4m Appropriate for all
1. Putting a System Together
2. Learning Subtractive Synthesis
3. Exploring Alternate Techniques
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.