Develop an ear for the different filter modes (low pass, high pass, band pass, and notch), and understand how they alter the oscillator waveform’s harmonics. Relate this to how sounds layer together in a mix.
- So far, we've just been playing with low pass filters…and they are the most commonly available.…However, there are also other filter modes,…for example, there's a high pass filter.…It passes any harmonics above the cut off…or corner frequency…and instead attenuates the harmonics…below the corner or cut off.…There's also a band pass filter…that allows just a narrow band for it to get through.…Again, based on that corner frequency…it filters out ones on either side.…There's also a notch filter,…it just removes harmonics around the corner…or cut off frequency.…
And let's the ones above and below pass…without any interruption.…Now, not all filters have all of these modes…so you have to see what you are getting.…In particular, you want something called a multi-mode filter…because it offers multiple outputs.…For example, low pass and high pass…band pass, and you also see above this control…the word notch.…Now, on the rolling filters, you might have noticed…there's this lettering HPF…which says High Pass Filter,…but this was just a set cut off…
This course will be based around the widely available Roland SYSTEM-500 Eurorack-standard synthesizer modules, complemented with modules from several other manufacturers. As most modules, synthesizer keyboards, and plugins are designed around the same principles, this course lets you dig deeper into synthesis and programming your sounds regardless of the equipment you own.
- Putting a system together
- Getting sound in and out
- Patching a typical synthesizer "voice"
- Tuning voltage-controlled oscillators (VCOs)
- Working with waveforms
- Using filters
- Exploring frequency modulation, waveshaping, oscillator sync, effects, and more
Skill Level Beginner
Learning Synth Programming: Beyond the Basicswith Scott Hirsch1h 54m Intermediate
Performing with Ableton Live: On Stage with St. Vincentwith Daniel Mintseris2h 4m Appropriate for all
1. Putting a System Together
2. Learning Subtractive Synthesis
3. Exploring Alternate Techniques
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.