Review the expandability of a standard-format modular synth, with resources to learn more
- That's hopefully enough information to get you started…with planning and playing your first modular synthesizer.…And don't sweat choosing exactly the right modules…the first time out.…It's modular.…You can go ahead and pull one out,…replace it with another module,…or more likely, buy another cabinet…or a bigger cabinet and keep expanding your system.…It's a little bit of a disease that way.…But it's a fun addiction to have.…Now before I go,…I want to give you one more resource…you might find worth checking out.…To learn more about the history of synthesizers…as well as different approaches you might want to explore…for both synthesis and performance,…check out Mark Vail's book The Synthesizer.…
Mark is a true expert in this industry.…He's been around for ages,…talked to all the important people,…and his books are essential resources.…And if you want to continue this journey,…I'm building my own companion website…learningmodular.com…to help reinforce and extend…what you've learned in this course.…I'll be adding articles and videos to it over time.…
This course will be based around the widely available Roland SYSTEM-500 Eurorack-standard synthesizer modules, complemented with modules from several other manufacturers. As most modules, synthesizer keyboards, and plugins are designed around the same principles, this course lets you dig deeper into synthesis and programming your sounds regardless of the equipment you own.
- Putting a system together
- Getting sound in and out
- Patching a typical synthesizer "voice"
- Tuning voltage-controlled oscillators (VCOs)
- Working with waveforms
- Using filters
- Exploring frequency modulation, waveshaping, oscillator sync, effects, and more
Skill Level Beginner
Learning Synth Programming: Beyond the Basicswith Scott Hirsch1h 54m Intermediate
1. Putting a System Together
2. Learning Subtractive Synthesis
3. Exploring Alternate Techniques
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.