Discover this alternative to using a voltage controlled amplifier at the end of your signal chain to create acoustic percussive sounds that become duller in tone as they decay.
- When I mentioned in the previous movie…that a lot of West Coast style synthesis…like to take something like the output of a wave shaper,…and send it to a VCA as our final stage,…I wasn't being entirely truthful.…In truth, a lot of West Coast synthesists…like to use something called the low pass gate.…What that is, is a low pass filter…with a fairly gentle slope.…Six or Twelve dB per octave.…One or two pole filter.…That they envelope as if it was a VCA,…including closing the frequency down so far,…it almost damps out all sound from going through it.…
As a result, we get a VCA action of controlling the volume,…but you also get a change in the harmonic spectrum.…Or the EQ of the sound going through it,…wider when loud, duller when soft.…Very natural.…Another common feature of low pass gates…are what are called vactrols.…These are strange little beasts…that have some light emitting character,…like a light emitting diode,…up against a photosensitive resistor.…So a light on a resistor to control the parameter.…Those devices are not all that linear.…
This course will be based around the widely available Roland SYSTEM-500 Eurorack-standard synthesizer modules, complemented with modules from several other manufacturers. As most modules, synthesizer keyboards, and plugins are designed around the same principles, this course lets you dig deeper into synthesis and programming your sounds regardless of the equipment you own.
- Putting a system together
- Getting sound in and out
- Patching a typical synthesizer "voice"
- Tuning voltage-controlled oscillators (VCOs)
- Working with waveforms
- Using filters
- Exploring frequency modulation, waveshaping, oscillator sync, effects, and more
Skill Level Beginner
Learning Synth Programming: Beyond the Basicswith Scott Hirsch1h 54m Intermediate
1. Putting a System Together
2. Learning Subtractive Synthesis
3. Exploring Alternate Techniques
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.