A review of the basic waveforms in the context of modulating the filter cutoff
- We've used LFOs, Low Frequency Oscillators,…in several of the examples so far in this chapter.…But before we wrap this chapter up,…let's spend a little bit of time…going over the different options.…There are wave shapes,…whether or not you can synchronize them,…the possibility of delaying their start,…and also use them in a variety of situations:…filter wah wah, vibrato, tremolo,…and pulse with modulation.…Just for fun I've set up a slightly different patch…this time around.…I'm using control voltage and gate for my controller,…and I'm taking advantage of a buffered multiple…to send the control voltages off to my oscillators…and to send the gates off…to trigger the envelope generators.…
I'm starting off with the generic 2VCO patch…going into a low-pass filter.…Right now I have the amount from the envelope generator…turned all the way down to zero,…so we can hear the effects of the LFO more clearly.…And here's the note by itself.…(low hum)…Nice, low drone sound.…Now let's say we want to change the character…of that drone over time without having…
This course will be based around the widely available Roland SYSTEM-500 Eurorack-standard synthesizer modules, complemented with modules from several other manufacturers. As most modules, synthesizer keyboards, and plugins are designed around the same principles, this course lets you dig deeper into synthesis and programming your sounds regardless of the equipment you own.
- Putting a system together
- Getting sound in and out
- Patching a typical synthesizer "voice"
- Tuning voltage-controlled oscillators (VCOs)
- Working with waveforms
- Using filters
- Exploring frequency modulation, waveshaping, oscillator sync, effects, and more
Skill Level Beginner
Learning Synth Programming: Beyond the Basicswith Scott Hirsch1h 54m Intermediate
1. Putting a System Together
2. Learning Subtractive Synthesis
3. Exploring Alternate Techniques
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.