Learn the preferred approach to FM - linear through zero - which is more tonal and does not suffer from tuning problems
- [Voiceover] Now if you think the tuning issues…with exponential FM would drive you crazy,…linear FM, where you are driving…an oscillator with a special input…that changes the tuning in Hertz,…not the tuning at octaves,…based on voltage, works much better.…So let's patch that up quickly.…I'm going to go ahead and keep this VCA in use…to drive my modulation depth.…But for now I'm going to take my audio output…directly from the expert sleepers disting in program 4C.…This is a linear FM oscillator…that also does what's called Through-Zero FM.…
If the pitch driving the carry oscillator…goes below zero volts, the waveform…just backs up and goes the other direction.…Not all oscillators do that…but it creates a nicer harmonics vector when they do.…Here's the output of just that oscillator.…(synthesizer tone)…Nice sine wave.…Some additional harmonics spikes from a little bit…of distortion going through this whole chain.…Normally the sine wave out of the disting is very pure.…Then were going to drive that…with a sine wave out of the Braids.…
This course will be based around the widely available Roland SYSTEM-500 Eurorack-standard synthesizer modules, complemented with modules from several other manufacturers. As most modules, synthesizer keyboards, and plugins are designed around the same principles, this course lets you dig deeper into synthesis and programming your sounds regardless of the equipment you own.
- Putting a system together
- Getting sound in and out
- Patching a typical synthesizer "voice"
- Tuning voltage-controlled oscillators (VCOs)
- Working with waveforms
- Using filters
- Exploring frequency modulation, waveshaping, oscillator sync, effects, and more
Skill Level Beginner
Learning Synth Programming: Beyond the Basicswith Scott Hirsch1h 54m Intermediate
1. Putting a System Together
2. Learning Subtractive Synthesis
3. Exploring Alternate Techniques
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.