Inform the user of level differences between a modular synthesizer and typical audio levels, necessitating boosting on the way in and attenuating on the way out.
- Finally, you need to get the sound…out of your synth and into your mixing console…or your digital audio workstation.…You could even send sound into your synth and process…sound through it.…However, this is not as straightforward as you might guess.…That's because in most modular synths,…the audio is running at a much higher or hotter level…than is normal in either consumer or professional audio.…Most audio systems are designed around…a minus -10dBv or +4dBu reference level.…Minus 10, or consumer line level, has its reference…at a peak-to-peak voltage of just under one volt.…
Meanwhile, plus four, or pro level, has its reference…at a peak-to-peak voltage at just under…three and a half volts.…We should also talk about wiring.…Minus 10 systems tend to be unbalanced,…which means two wires, a ground and a signal,…where plus four systems tend to be balanced,…requiring three wires, ground, positive and negative.…By contrast, most modular synths have signals in the range…of plus or minus five volts, to as high as…plus or minus 10 volts.…
This course will be based around the widely available Roland SYSTEM-500 Eurorack-standard synthesizer modules, complemented with modules from several other manufacturers. As most modules, synthesizer keyboards, and plugins are designed around the same principles, this course lets you dig deeper into synthesis and programming your sounds regardless of the equipment you own.
- Putting a system together
- Getting sound in and out
- Patching a typical synthesizer "voice"
- Tuning voltage-controlled oscillators (VCOs)
- Working with waveforms
- Using filters
- Exploring frequency modulation, waveshaping, oscillator sync, effects, and more
Skill Level Beginner
Learning Synth Programming: Beyond the Basicswith Scott Hirsch1h 54m Intermediate
1. Putting a System Together
2. Learning Subtractive Synthesis
3. Exploring Alternate Techniques
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.