Explaining the building blocks of sound – harmonics – and how the combination of harmonics is what helps distinguish one sound from another
- A fundamental concept I'm going to be coming back to…again and again is how sounds are built…out of tones called harmonics.…The reason one sound may appear different…than another sound is because they're built…out of different mixtures of harmonics.…Indeed, you can think of that harmonic mix…as the sound's fingerprint,…what makes it unique.…Once you understand harmonics and how to manipulate them,…you know how to create sound.…And synthesizers are all about manipulating sound.…Now if you come from a musical background,…you know why different chords sound different,…even if they share the same root key,…if you play different notes on top,…the sound's different.…
Well, it's the same concept with harmonics.…For example, when I play a C-major triad,…(musical note)…and C-minor triad,…(musical note)…you can quickly tell the difference between them,…even though they share the same root, C.…(musical note)…Just that little change between an E,…(musical note)…and an E-flat…(musical note)…makes a big difference in both sound and in feel.…
This course will be based around the widely available Roland SYSTEM-500 Eurorack-standard synthesizer modules, complemented with modules from several other manufacturers. As most modules, synthesizer keyboards, and plugins are designed around the same principles, this course lets you dig deeper into synthesis and programming your sounds regardless of the equipment you own.
- Putting a system together
- Getting sound in and out
- Patching a typical synthesizer "voice"
- Tuning voltage-controlled oscillators (VCOs)
- Working with waveforms
- Using filters
- Exploring frequency modulation, waveshaping, oscillator sync, effects, and more
Skill Level Beginner
Learning Synth Programming: Beyond the Basicswith Scott Hirsch1h 54m Intermediate
Performing with Ableton Live: On Stage with St. Vincentwith Daniel Mintseris2h 4m Appropriate for all
1. Putting a System Together
2. Learning Subtractive Synthesis
3. Exploring Alternate Techniques
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.