Play around with the different degrees of filter resonance and the resulting sounds, from simple emphasis to formants to aggressive screams to self-oscillation.
- Let's play around with another way…that we can change a filter's response,…namely by playing with its resonance.…Resonance is feedback inside a filter,…the output coming back to the input.…The result is the harmonics, right around that cutoff,…the corner frequency, gets strengthened rather than the ones…beyond just being reduced.…You get a strange vocalish vowelish sound as a result.…It's a very distinctive sound,…I'm sure you've heard before.…Also what's interesting is resonance is different…from filter to filter.…Some of them go into strange distortion,…some of them actually start oscillating…and become a sine wave all by themselves.…
Let's play around with resonance on our two filters here…and compare their differences and also see what happens…to the harmonics as we play with resonance.…I've already set up a simple patch with two oscillators…going into the Roland filter to start off with,…gate triggering both of our envelopes,…one of them patched to modulate the filter's cutoff…and the other one patched to modulate the VCA.…
This course will be based around the widely available Roland SYSTEM-500 Eurorack-standard synthesizer modules, complemented with modules from several other manufacturers. As most modules, synthesizer keyboards, and plugins are designed around the same principles, this course lets you dig deeper into synthesis and programming your sounds regardless of the equipment you own.
- Putting a system together
- Getting sound in and out
- Patching a typical synthesizer "voice"
- Tuning voltage-controlled oscillators (VCOs)
- Working with waveforms
- Using filters
- Exploring frequency modulation, waveshaping, oscillator sync, effects, and more
Skill Level Beginner
Synth Programming: Beyond the Basicswith Scott Hirsch1h 54m Intermediate
Performing with Ableton Live: On Stage with St. Vincentwith Daniel Mintseris2h 4m Appropriate for all
1. Putting a System Together
2. Learning Subtractive Synthesis
3. Exploring Alternate Techniques
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.