Move beyond the basic fast attack/long decay envelope we’ve been using so far, to crafting the envelope shape to mimic different instrument classes and musical articulations.
- I'm going to spend the next few movies…talking more about modulation sources,…envelope generators, and LFOs, low frequency oscillators.…We introduced them back in the first movie…in this chapter, and we have been using them throughout…the last several movies.…It's time we sat down and understood them better…so we can really put them to work.…I have a very simple patch set up right now.…I'm taking the triangle output on one of my oscillators,…and in addition to controlling it from my keyboard,…I'm also feeding the output of an envelope generator to it.…And I'm triggering that envelope generator…from my keyboard, or I could just use this manual button…here on the front panel.…
Envelope generators come in a few different flavors.…ADSRs that have attack, decay, sustain and release,…as well as simpler ones that just do…simple attack release, or attack decay.…The Roland 540 is an ADSR…where it attacks to maximum level,…decays to an intermediate level set by the…sustain control and then releases back down to zero.…
This course will be based around the widely available Roland SYSTEM-500 Eurorack-standard synthesizer modules, complemented with modules from several other manufacturers. As most modules, synthesizer keyboards, and plugins are designed around the same principles, this course lets you dig deeper into synthesis and programming your sounds regardless of the equipment you own.
- Putting a system together
- Getting sound in and out
- Patching a typical synthesizer "voice"
- Tuning voltage-controlled oscillators (VCOs)
- Working with waveforms
- Using filters
- Exploring frequency modulation, waveshaping, oscillator sync, effects, and more
Skill Level Beginner
Learning Synth Programming: Beyond the Basicswith Scott Hirsch1h 54m Intermediate
Performing with Ableton Live: On Stage with St. Vincentwith Daniel Mintseris2h 4m Appropriate for all
1. Putting a System Together
2. Learning Subtractive Synthesis
3. Exploring Alternate Techniques
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.