Using external effects and signal processors to broaden the sound of your modular system.
- Let's say your favorite effect is not yet available…as a module for your synthesizer,…or maybe you like to bring in some external sounds…like guitar, drums, loops, vocals,…and process them through your modular.…Well, there are indeed modules to…interface to the outside audio world.…In this rack I have a Xaoc Devices Sewastopol…which does two things.…One, it is an effects loop with both a send and return…converting between a modular level,…which is really quite loud and quite high,…and line level for things such as guitar effects.…
Also, it can take a signal in, process it,…derive its loudness amplitude from it,…and even generate triggers from…beats or other spikes in that audio.…Right now we're gonna use it to process a sequence.…Now here's our straight sequence.…(bouncy beat)…- And it's already pretty fat.…I've got three oscillators, filter, VCA,…a fairly normal patch but say I really wanted to…mess it up using external guitar effects.…I'll pull the sequence for now and do a little repatching…then I'm gonna hijack my audio output…
This course will be based around the widely available Roland SYSTEM-500 Eurorack-standard synthesizer modules, complemented with modules from several other manufacturers. As most modules, synthesizer keyboards, and plugins are designed around the same principles, this course lets you dig deeper into synthesis and programming your sounds regardless of the equipment you own.
- Putting a system together
- Getting sound in and out
- Patching a typical synthesizer "voice"
- Tuning voltage-controlled oscillators (VCOs)
- Working with waveforms
- Using filters
- Exploring frequency modulation, waveshaping, oscillator sync, effects, and more
Skill Level Beginner
Learning Synth Programming: Beyond the Basicswith Scott Hirsch1h 54m Intermediate
Performing with Ableton Live: On Stage with St. Vincentwith Daniel Mintseris2h 4m Appropriate for all
1. Putting a System Together
2. Learning Subtractive Synthesis
3. Exploring Alternate Techniques
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.