Become aware of other oscillator options available, including additional waveforms and waveform morphing.
- Now some people might assume that having a modular synth…means that you must have an analog synth.…However, that's not true.…There's lots of great digital modules you can buy…for modular synthesizers these days.…Including a lot of great digital oscillators.…Now, analog oscillators sound great,…don't get me wrong,…but they have a limited number of wave shapes,…and therefore a limited number of harmonic spectra…for you to use as starting points.…Digital oscillators, on the other hand,…have access to wave tables.…Stored in memory are the shapes…of many, many different types of waves they can play back.…
Therefore, you get lots of,…lots and lots of different harmonic spectra…and wave shapes to play with.…Some that sound like human voices.…Some that sound like bells.…Some that sound like static.…A much wider variety then from an analog oscillator alone.…Therefore in this movie, we're gonna play around…with a typical wave table oscillator.…Particularly one that has many different wave shapes,…and one that can cross-fade, or morph in-between…
This course will be based around the widely available Roland SYSTEM-500 Eurorack-standard synthesizer modules, complemented with modules from several other manufacturers. As most modules, synthesizer keyboards, and plugins are designed around the same principles, this course lets you dig deeper into synthesis and programming your sounds regardless of the equipment you own.
- Putting a system together
- Getting sound in and out
- Patching a typical synthesizer "voice"
- Tuning voltage-controlled oscillators (VCOs)
- Working with waveforms
- Using filters
- Exploring frequency modulation, waveshaping, oscillator sync, effects, and more
Skill Level Beginner
Learning Synth Programming: Beyond the Basicswith Scott Hirsch1h 54m Intermediate
Performing with Ableton Live: On Stage with St. Vincentwith Daniel Mintseris2h 4m Appropriate for all
1. Putting a System Together
2. Learning Subtractive Synthesis
3. Exploring Alternate Techniques
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.