Compare grungy analog delay and clean digital, including syncopated use of delays
- Now let's play around with delay lines,…including an old-fashioned analog one…as well as a digital one.…I'll start a sequence.…I just have simple pluck patch…with two oscillators going into a mixer…going into the low pass gate…being plucked by the gate from my arpeggiator.…Right now it's going directly to the output,…but instead let's take that through…our delay line and play around with some…different effects we can get out of it.…Immediately you hear a change in characters,…it's a bit of a comb filter.…
I don't have any modulation going to the delay,…as is minimum time, and let's…turn up its resonance, its feedback.…With a change to the delay time…you hear the effect of a comb filter.…Really short delays cause the…wave form to cancel out some of…its harmonics, creating this filtered effect.…If I modulate the time of that delay,…I add your classic flanger effect.…
Again, the speed controlled by our LFO down here.…More resonance, deeper effect.…And once they get longer delays…you start to hear a little bit of a slapback.…
This course will be based around the widely available Roland SYSTEM-500 Eurorack-standard synthesizer modules, complemented with modules from several other manufacturers. As most modules, synthesizer keyboards, and plugins are designed around the same principles, this course lets you dig deeper into synthesis and programming your sounds regardless of the equipment you own.
- Putting a system together
- Getting sound in and out
- Patching a typical synthesizer "voice"
- Tuning voltage-controlled oscillators (VCOs)
- Working with waveforms
- Using filters
- Exploring frequency modulation, waveshaping, oscillator sync, effects, and more
Skill Level Beginner
Synth Programming: Beyond the Basicswith Scott Hirsch1h 54m Intermediate
Performing with Ableton Live: On Stage with St. Vincentwith Daniel Mintseris2h 4m Appropriate for all
1. Putting a System Together
2. Learning Subtractive Synthesis
3. Exploring Alternate Techniques
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.