The 5 note scale known as the Pentatonic scale is a very useful and simplified scale pattern. In this lesson Bryan will break down the pentatonic scales in the Keys of F and E and show you how to practice and use them.
- Okay we're moving on now to the last set…in this little series of pentatonic scales.…We're going to look at F and E.…Starting with F.…(guitar strum)…Here's your ...…(guitar strum)…Here's your basic major scale…within one octave.…(guitar)…And so the pentatonic,…one, two, five,…sorry, one to three,…five six, one,…so using all six strings it looks like this.…(guitar)…A little slower.…
(guitar)…Open A string.…(guitar)…Open D string.…(guitar)…Open G string.…(guitar)…One thing you'll notice…about a lot of these pentatonic scales…is that it sort of follows the chord shape.…(guitar)…So once you, again this is kind of…like what we were talking about.…You'll see this stuff start kind of paying off…you know if you're comfortable…with that chord shape of F.…
(guitar)…There's your pentatonic scale just right in there.…(guitar)…And one thing about good technique,…left-hand and right-hand,…is that you shouldn't have to move too much,…you know once things are set,…one things are sort of where they need to be,…then you know your fingers…can do the walking at that point.…
Watch at your own pace; start and stop where and when you need. Everything that Bryan breaks down he puts back together in chapters 4 and 5, where he shows how to apply what you've learned to a selection of popular bluegrass tunes that are important for the repertoire of any bluegrass guitarist.
Note: This course was recorded and produced by ArtistWorks. We are honored to host this training in our library.
- Chord theory
- The major and pentatonic scales
- Walking bass technique
- Reading tablature
- Beginning hammer-ons and pull-offs
- Beginning slide guitar
- Using a capo
- Playing traditional bluegrass tunes
Skill Level Beginner
1. Scales and Chord Theory
2. Walking Bass and Reading Tablature
3. Hammer-Ons, Pull-Offs, and Slides
4. Basic Bluegrass Tunes 2
4. Basic Bluegrass Tunes 2
ArtistWorks and Next Steps1m 15s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.