The 5 note scale known as the Pentatonic scale is a very useful and simplified scale pattern. In this lesson Bryan will break down the pentatonic scales in the Keys of G and C and show you how to practice and use them.
- We're going to move…into some different sort of scales now.…We worked on…major scales, using all six strings,…with access to four frets, four fingers.…We talked about the basic,…the way a lot of people sing the major scale is…♫ do re mi fa sol la ti do ♫…Right, and,…another way to think about that is in numbers.…♫ One, two three four,…♫ One, two, three, four,…♫ Five, six, seven ♫…And then back to one again.…
So, just a quick little run through, with C again.…That's, we'll,…there's C, there's your one,…and so, in the six string concept,…beyond the octave that starts on the E as the third,…So,…♫ Three, four, five, six, seven, one ♫…And then on.…And so, the next sort of batch of scales…that we're going to work on are called pentatonic scales.…And the reason they're called that is because there's,…it's the pentatonic word means five tones, right?…So it starts, starting on the one note,…we're in the key of G now, start with G, you know,…our G major scale with a open strings, looks like this.…
That's one octave.…Beyond the octaves,…
Watch at your own pace; start and stop where and when you need. Everything that Bryan breaks down he puts back together in chapters 4 and 5, where he shows how to apply what you've learned to a selection of popular bluegrass tunes that are important for the repertoire of any bluegrass guitarist.
Note: This course was recorded and produced by ArtistWorks. We are honored to host this training in our library.
- Chord theory
- The major and pentatonic scales
- Walking bass technique
- Reading tablature
- Beginning hammer-ons and pull-offs
- Beginning slide guitar
- Using a capo
- Playing traditional bluegrass tunes
Skill Level Beginner
1. Scales and Chord Theory
2. Walking Bass and Reading Tablature
3. Hammer-Ons, Pull-Offs, and Slides
4. Basic Bluegrass Tunes 1
5. Basic Bluegrass Tunes 2
ArtistWorks and Next Steps1m 15s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.