The basic framework for most Bluegrass fiddle tunes comes straight from the Major scale pattern. In this lesson Bryan will break down the major scales in the Keys of F and E and show you how to practice and use them.
- View Offline
- Exercise Files
- Here's two more major scale forms…that I want you to learn…that I feel are so important…to building a strong foundation…for flat picking.…The first one here, we're gonna add…to what we already know with F.…We've had our F chord form there.…So you can get your hands…kind of used to where…those F, at least those notes are.…So we'll start down here.…We'll start with a low F.…So again, we've got four fingers,…four frets, in the first position here.…We use open strings.…
So start on the F.…And you'll notice,…you'll notice that you don't…really use the pinky on this one.…That's why we learn all these…different positions, because,…you know those, like A and D,…and we're gonna learn E in a minute,…it's important because it really…forces your pinky into play right there.…
So here's the F scale again slowly…from low to high.…There's one octave.…We'll move on beyond the octave.…And there's your low F down there.…
The next one we're gonna…look at is E.…And here's its scale form…using all four strings,…I mean, all four frets,…all four of the first frets,…
Watch at your own pace; start and stop where and when you need. Everything that Bryan breaks down he puts back together in chapters 4 and 5, where he shows how to apply what you've learned to a selection of popular bluegrass tunes that are important for the repertoire of any bluegrass guitarist.
Note: This course was recorded and produced by ArtistWorks. We are honored to host this training in our library.
- Chord theory
- The major and pentatonic scales
- Walking bass technique
- Reading tablature
- Beginning hammer-ons and pull-offs
- Beginning slide guitar
- Using a capo
- Playing traditional bluegrass tunes
Skill Level Beginner
1. Scales and Chord Theory
2. Walking Bass and Reading Tablature
3. Hammer-Ons, Pull-Offs, and Slides
4. Basic Bluegrass Tunes 2
4. Basic Bluegrass Tunes 2
ArtistWorks and Next Steps1m 15s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.