The basic framework for most Bluegrass fiddle tunes comes straight from the Major scale pattern. In this lesson Bryan will break down the major scales in the Keys of D and A and show you how to practice and use them.
- We're gonna move into some two new shapes now…for major scales that are important for…every flatpicker to know,…and the first one will be D,…and again we're gonna maintain our concept of four fingers.…Four frets four fingers,…and I'll show you, the first thing I'll show you…is the basic single octave.…An octave is from one note at the bottom…of the scale to the top, so,…(rhythmic acoustic)…is one octave,…and slowly you start on open D,…and move to the second fret.…
(rhythmic acoustic)…Open second string.…There's two open stings in that form,…and then open G.…Open B, and the way we're gonna expand that now…is with our four frets four fingers concept.…All the notes in the D major scale that we can get…in this area of the finger board.…First open position here.…
So if we work our way up from there.…(rhythmic acoustic)…We have an open E to G.…(rhythmic acoustic)…Working our way back down.…Now we're down to the C sharp or the seventh degree.…(rhythmic acoustic)…That's the form, so starting on the open E string…it looks like this.…
Watch at your own pace; start and stop where and when you need. Everything that Bryan breaks down he puts back together in chapters 4 and 5, where he shows how to apply what you've learned to a selection of popular bluegrass tunes that are important for the repertoire of any bluegrass guitarist.
Note: This course was recorded and produced by ArtistWorks. We are honored to host this training in our library.
- Chord theory
- The major and pentatonic scales
- Walking bass technique
- Reading tablature
- Beginning hammer-ons and pull-offs
- Beginning slide guitar
- Using a capo
- Playing traditional bluegrass tunes
Skill Level Beginner
1. Scales and Chord Theory
2. Walking Bass and Reading Tablature
3. Hammer-Ons, Pull-Offs, and Slides
4. Basic Bluegrass Tunes 1
5. Basic Bluegrass Tunes 2
ArtistWorks and Next Steps1m 15s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.