A technique to enhance and embellish your rhythm playing by adding movement to your lines. This is a very commonly used technique within the Bluegrass tradition that adds an element of interest and connects chord changes.
- We're gonna move now to some things you can practice…with this walking bass theory.…We've covered all the, all the whys and hows.…And so I'm gonna show you.…We covered four bar patterns earlier with the…boom chuck strum pattern, so in the key of G,…here's what it sounds like.…Here's the first exercise.…We're expanding on that exercise, so.…(plays guitar)…And so now we're gonna add the walking bass.…
So I'd encourage you to just go back and forth…the one.…Walking straight up the scale.…And so that's how that works in G.…So basically sort of reviewing that.…In the key of C, same theory applies.…And this is, we're just trying to…I'd like you to really get a sense of…how this works in basically G, C, D,…the key of A and the key of E.…And so, the next one I'll show you here…is in the key of C.…
(strums guitar)…And the exercise based on the four bar.…When you practice it, you can go back and forth…just to hear and feel the difference.…A lot of this, you know, the muscle memory…that we're trying to build…and sort of musical memory if you will…
Watch at your own pace; start and stop where and when you need. Everything that Bryan breaks down he puts back together in chapters 4 and 5, where he shows how to apply what you've learned to a selection of popular bluegrass tunes that are important for the repertoire of any bluegrass guitarist.
Note: This course was recorded and produced by ArtistWorks. We are honored to host this training in our library.
- Chord theory
- The major and pentatonic scales
- Walking bass technique
- Reading tablature
- Beginning hammer-ons and pull-offs
- Beginning slide guitar
- Using a capo
- Playing traditional bluegrass tunes
Skill Level Beginner
1. Scales and Chord Theory
2. Walking Bass and Reading Tablature
3. Hammer-Ons, Pull-Offs, and Slides
4. Basic Bluegrass Tunes 1
5. Basic Bluegrass Tunes 2
ArtistWorks and Next Steps1m 15s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.