A technique to enhance and embellish your rhythm playing by adding movement to your lines. This is a very commonly used technique within the Bluegrass tradition that adds an element of interest and connects chord changes.
- The next thing we're gonna talk about,…we're gonna move right into enhancing rhythm style.…Again, we've said before,…bluegrass rhythm on the guitar…is such an important part of the music.…And it's important for anybody…that plays any of the lead stuff…and plays the tunes,…the single note flatpicking.…You can't stress enough…the importance of solid rhythm playing.…And so the next step,…we've covered the basic boom-chuck strum…and we've also covered chord patterns.…In the last chord theory lessons we discussed,…we showed why the one, four, and five,…how they exist, how you find them.…
And it's all based on the scale theory…of naming the notes with numbers, right?…And so, the way this is going to apply to…what we're gonna do now is enhance…and the way we're gonna apply…the number concept now is with walking bass runs.…And if your not familiar what that is…think to old time music.…Think to when you see Jimmy Martin play…and he's strumming,…but he's also, you know,…plays these great notes in-between the chords…that really push the music along.…
Watch at your own pace; start and stop where and when you need. Everything that Bryan breaks down he puts back together in chapters 4 and 5, where he shows how to apply what you've learned to a selection of popular bluegrass tunes that are important for the repertoire of any bluegrass guitarist.
Note: This course was recorded and produced by ArtistWorks. We are honored to host this training in our library.
- Chord theory
- The major and pentatonic scales
- Walking bass technique
- Reading tablature
- Beginning hammer-ons and pull-offs
- Beginning slide guitar
- Using a capo
- Playing traditional bluegrass tunes
Skill Level Beginner
1. Scales and Chord Theory
2. Walking Bass and Reading Tablature
3. Hammer-Ons, Pull-Offs, and Slides
4. Basic Bluegrass Tunes 1
5. Basic Bluegrass Tunes 2
ArtistWorks and Next Steps1m 15s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.