A capo is a device used on the neck of the guitar to shorten the playable length of the strings which raises the pitch and allows you to play in higher keys using the same chord shapes as in open first position. Bryan will walk you through the benefits an
- Before we jump into this batch of tunes,…a little tech talk here.…Gonna discuss the capo and what it does,…and, in my opinion, the best way to use it…and get the most out of it.…Capo, essentially, allows you to have…access to open strings in other keys.…That's kind the basic job of the capo,…and there are different styles.…My capo here, good shot from over/above,…is a McKinney style Elliott Capo.…
There's some different manufacturers that make…capos of this style, that wrap around.…There's some that use tension to clamp…or screws to clamp around the neck,…like this, but it's all essentially…the same concept at work.…For Bluegrass specifically, what you'll notice,…the reason it's great for Flatpicking and…Bluegrass, if you've never used on of these…things before, we've covered a lot of chords…in open position so far.…And, just by the use of the capo,…it allows us access to three or four…times as many chords, and to play…in three or four times as many keys.…
A good place to start is the capo on the second fret,…and what I like to do, if we can see from above,…
Watch at your own pace; start and stop where and when you need. Everything that Bryan breaks down he puts back together in chapters 4 and 5, where he shows how to apply what you've learned to a selection of popular bluegrass tunes that are important for the repertoire of any bluegrass guitarist.
Note: This course was recorded and produced by ArtistWorks. We are honored to host this training in our library.
- Chord theory
- The major and pentatonic scales
- Walking bass technique
- Reading tablature
- Beginning hammer-ons and pull-offs
- Beginning slide guitar
- Using a capo
- Playing traditional bluegrass tunes
Skill Level Beginner
1. Scales and Chord Theory
2. Walking Bass and Reading Tablature
3. Hammer-Ons, Pull-Offs, and Slides
4. Basic Bluegrass Tunes 2
4. Basic Bluegrass Tunes 2
ArtistWorks and Next Steps1m 15s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.