Bryan introduces, breaks down and performs the rhythm to the popular tune Shady Grove. The performance in this lesson is in the key of A minor and the tempo is set to 70 beats per minute. The importance of alternating between up and down strokes is explai
- We're gonna look at the rhythm changes for Shady Grove…and kinda how to play rhythm with a song like this…and where to think about some walking bass…and some options like that as we were working here…in the basic curriculum.…So again, we're starting with A minor (guitar strum).…Song's essentially in the key of A minor.…A minor is a relative of C.…(guitar strums)…They kinda work well together.…So, first cord being A minor.…One, two, three, (guitar strums)…it changes to G. (guitar strums)…Two bars of A.…
And, the next change is C, and notice we've mentioned…here a couple times throughout the site where there's,…if you've got a couple of bars to kind of settle in…with a rhythm and then there's a new change…two bars later you can kinda usually use that…as a clue to know when to kind of walk into the cord.…We talked about how C major relates to A minor…and so all C major scale notes will work…in this song here.…Here, walking from A…(guitar strums)…Up to C is what we're gonna use there…in the second bar of that line.…
Watch at your own pace; start and stop where and when you need. Everything that Bryan breaks down he puts back together in chapters 4 and 5, where he shows how to apply what you've learned to a selection of popular bluegrass tunes that are important for the repertoire of any bluegrass guitarist.
Note: This course was recorded and produced by ArtistWorks. We are honored to host this training in our library.
- Chord theory
- The major and pentatonic scales
- Walking bass technique
- Reading tablature
- Beginning hammer-ons and pull-offs
- Beginning slide guitar
- Using a capo
- Playing traditional bluegrass tunes
Skill Level Beginner
1. Scales and Chord Theory
2. Walking Bass and Reading Tablature
3. Hammer-Ons, Pull-Offs, and Slides
4. Basic Bluegrass Tunes 2
4. Basic Bluegrass Tunes 2
ArtistWorks and Next Steps1m 15s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.