Bryan teaches the rhythm to this basic version of the 1-4-5 tune Red Haired Boy. This version is in the key of A, played at 65 beats per minute with a capo on the second fret. Picking feel and allowing for breaks in the traditional down up down up pattern
- Just a few words about playing rhythm with Red Haired Boy.…And again, you've got different tracks you can…listen to of me playing…and there's lots of different ideas within that.…But again at this basic level, I'll just talk…through the changes with you.…First we have two bars of A, and I'd like you…just to learn this as opposed to me writing it out…and showing you, like we talked about with the other tunes.…I wanna encourage you to use your ear.…It's just one of the given things about playing…bluegrass music is that you're developing an ear…with these songs, and being able to watch…somebody and learn changes when you're in a jam session…and you've come across a song that you're not…familiar with, you need to be able to,…you can look at somebody, another guitar player,…and see where their hands are and follow along.…
And this is kinda what we're doing right here.…But we're stopping for a minute and I'll show you…what's going on.…So, with Red Haired Boy, we have two bars of the A.…We'll call it A.…G form, capo.…
Watch at your own pace; start and stop where and when you need. Everything that Bryan breaks down he puts back together in chapters 4 and 5, where he shows how to apply what you've learned to a selection of popular bluegrass tunes that are important for the repertoire of any bluegrass guitarist.
Note: This course was recorded and produced by ArtistWorks. We are honored to host this training in our library.
- Chord theory
- The major and pentatonic scales
- Walking bass technique
- Reading tablature
- Beginning hammer-ons and pull-offs
- Beginning slide guitar
- Using a capo
- Playing traditional bluegrass tunes
Skill Level Beginner
1. Scales and Chord Theory
2. Walking Bass and Reading Tablature
3. Hammer-Ons, Pull-Offs, and Slides
4. Basic Bluegrass Tunes 1
5. Basic Bluegrass Tunes 2
ArtistWorks and Next Steps1m 15s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.