Bryan teaches the melody to this basic version of the 1-4-5 tune Red Haired Boy. This version is in the key of A, played at 65 beats per minute with a capo on the second fret. Picking feel and allowing for breaks in the traditional down up down up pattern
- Moving along, the B part of "Red Haired Boy"…continues just to employ a lot of the same things…we've been talking about.…Actually starts with,…after the pick-up notes,…starts with three quarter notes in a row.…(playing guitar)…So there's a good, solid opportunity for a good tone.…Downstrokes.…(playing guitar)…Now back into some eighth notes.…(playing guitar)…And that was a big phrase there.…
And what I like about this,…what this helps work on is the transition from…the eighth notes to the core notes and back and forth.…And again, to isolate this as you're practicing,…play some rhythm.…(playing guitar)…And you realize that you're loose and locked in.…(playing guitar)…Here comes a series of quarter notes…and eighth notes back and forth,…but again I'm trying to maintain this…even-keeled sense of what my right hand is doing,…or your picking hand.…
If you're left-handed, it'd be your left hand.…And so anyway, at that point in the tune.…(playing guitar)…And we're back into some eighth notes.…More eighth notes at this point.…
Watch at your own pace; start and stop where and when you need. Everything that Bryan breaks down he puts back together in chapters 4 and 5, where he shows how to apply what you've learned to a selection of popular bluegrass tunes that are important for the repertoire of any bluegrass guitarist.
Note: This course was recorded and produced by ArtistWorks. We are honored to host this training in our library.
- Chord theory
- The major and pentatonic scales
- Walking bass technique
- Reading tablature
- Beginning hammer-ons and pull-offs
- Beginning slide guitar
- Using a capo
- Playing traditional bluegrass tunes
Skill Level Beginner
1. Scales and Chord Theory
2. Walking Bass and Reading Tablature
3. Hammer-Ons, Pull-Offs, and Slides
4. Basic Bluegrass Tunes 1
5. Basic Bluegrass Tunes 2
ArtistWorks and Next Steps1m 15s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.