Bryan teaches the melody to this basic version of the 1-4-5 tune Red Haired Boy. This version is in the key of A, played at 65 beats per minute with a capo on the second fret. Picking feel and allowing for breaks in the traditional down up down up pattern
- Here's a tune called Red Haired Boy.…It's a uh, it's a standard for flat pickers.…Uh, I can't, it's one of these songs,…that as I think back through,…uh, you know, bein' a kid learning how to flat pick,…It's, I can't ever remember not knowing Red Haired Boy,…it's uh, one of the basic tunes, that uh,…that can be considered a classic for this style.…So, what I'm gonna do is just say a few words,…while I've got my capo on the second fret,…we're gonna be actually moved up to the key of A now,…movin' right along.…And, you'll also notice that this is also gonna be one,…we talk about the one four five concept, three chords,…this also has our F form, we talked about F,…we showed, you know, that F form,…so it's the fourth chord in this,…and the, the uh,…this has sort of a Scottish kinda sound,…you can sorta hear this melody where that comes from.…
And so we'll get a little bit more of that later…about that kinda relationship,…and what that does for this kind of music.…But for now, we'll just rest on the fact that chords there,…
Watch at your own pace; start and stop where and when you need. Everything that Bryan breaks down he puts back together in chapters 4 and 5, where he shows how to apply what you've learned to a selection of popular bluegrass tunes that are important for the repertoire of any bluegrass guitarist.
Note: This course was recorded and produced by ArtistWorks. We are honored to host this training in our library.
- Chord theory
- The major and pentatonic scales
- Walking bass technique
- Reading tablature
- Beginning hammer-ons and pull-offs
- Beginning slide guitar
- Using a capo
- Playing traditional bluegrass tunes
Skill Level Beginner
1. Scales and Chord Theory
2. Walking Bass and Reading Tablature
3. Hammer-Ons, Pull-Offs, and Slides
4. Basic Bluegrass Tunes 2
4. Basic Bluegrass Tunes 2
ArtistWorks and Next Steps1m 15s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.