An exercise designed to help you learn and practice playing pull offs smoothly and cleanly out of the G Pentatonic scale. The goal is to smooth out your pulled off notes to be an even volume with your picked notes.
- I'm gonna show you a beginning pull-off exercise here,…and again, it's a tab that you can download,…and you can read along with me.…I will show you basically what the exercise is doing…and you know, keeping our concepts of trying to make…our pull-offs and the notes that's after that…the same volume,…that's the goal here.…So the exercise starts on,…if you're looking from the first measure there,…picking the G on the first string, third fret,…pulling into the open E,…and then the third fret, second string,…you know, as I isolate this stuff,…you'll hear the E string ring under that, that's OK.…
(guitar strumming)…And then down to the G string,…that's the A, A picked to the open G.…And then two Gs in a row,…and then moving that same sort of pattern down a string…starting on the B string.…(guitar strumming)…Starting that again,…and then the last bar.…(guitar strumming)…That last bar, it starts on the E…of second Fret of the D string.…
(guitar strumming)…So here's the exercise at 50 beats a minute.…Start the metronome.…And again, I think the best way to start this kind of stuff,…
Watch at your own pace; start and stop where and when you need. Everything that Bryan breaks down he puts back together in chapters 4 and 5, where he shows how to apply what you've learned to a selection of popular bluegrass tunes that are important for the repertoire of any bluegrass guitarist.
Note: This course was recorded and produced by ArtistWorks. We are honored to host this training in our library.
- Chord theory
- The major and pentatonic scales
- Walking bass technique
- Reading tablature
- Beginning hammer-ons and pull-offs
- Beginning slide guitar
- Using a capo
- Playing traditional bluegrass tunes
Skill Level Beginner
1. Scales and Chord Theory
2. Walking Bass and Reading Tablature
3. Hammer-Ons, Pull-Offs, and Slides
4. Basic Bluegrass Tunes 2
4. Basic Bluegrass Tunes 2
ArtistWorks and Next Steps1m 15s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.