Bryan teaches and performs a basic version of the tune Daley’s Reel at 65 beats per minute. This version is in B flat with a capo on the third fret. Note quality and playing the notes so they cascade and ring out are areas of importance covered in the con
- View Offline
- Exercise Files
- So now that launches us straight in to the B section,…which starts on the four chord,…which is the E flat in the key of D flat,…we're at C position.…But a lot of the same ideas…are going to apply here that we did in the A part,…a lot of open strings,…that little ring.…Notice I wanna keep that first string ringing…as much as I can.…From this point…you can hear all those notes within that.…
It's basically the pentatonic scale.…Because all those notes can sustain,…suddenly the quality of what we're doing is better.…As opposed,…you know?…So that's what you wanna work for.…Moving on.…Getting more and more open strings.…
So now that we've established this whole idea…of how these notes kind of cascade and a lot of open…strings roll against each other and we think…about bigger phrases,…this particular point here in the B section is a real…challenging departure from some of this,…just in the position of where your left hand needs to be…to make this melody work,…within the idea of these notes that sustain.…So, looking at left-hand specifically right now.…
Watch at your own pace; start and stop where and when you need. Everything that Bryan breaks down he puts back together in chapters 4 and 5, where he shows how to apply what you've learned to a selection of popular bluegrass tunes that are important for the repertoire of any bluegrass guitarist.
Note: This course was recorded and produced by ArtistWorks. We are honored to host this training in our library.
- Chord theory
- The major and pentatonic scales
- Walking bass technique
- Reading tablature
- Beginning hammer-ons and pull-offs
- Beginning slide guitar
- Using a capo
- Playing traditional bluegrass tunes
Skill Level Beginner
1. Scales and Chord Theory
2. Walking Bass and Reading Tablature
3. Hammer-Ons, Pull-Offs, and Slides
4. Basic Bluegrass Tunes 2
4. Basic Bluegrass Tunes 2
ArtistWorks and Next Steps1m 15s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.