This lesson demystifies chord theory. What makes up a chord, what the rules are, why some things work and some don't, understanding the concept of intervals and their relation to the 1 chord and general knowledge to help you understand the way it all fits
- So far in these lessons for basic flat picking,…I've broken down and exposed what I feel…are core elements of playing this style of guitar.…And with a lot of the ways, the physical nature…of the style is kind of defined in ways to work on that.…We're gonna move a little bit into some more…musical theory kind of stuff that I feel like…is not only a building block for flat picking…but a building block for as you move into…learning more about music, learning more about…playing music with other people.…
The first thing, one of the little things…to cover back into a more rhythm and chord…knowledge and things that I feel like you…need to know about are what actually…makes up a chord.…We discussed in some of the single note…scale lessons earlier how we're gonna…break down the scales into their numbers.…One, two, three, four, five, six, seven.…(C musical scale)…♫ One, two, three, four, five, six, seven ♫…and back to one is the basic scale theory…that we're gonna use basically from here on out…referring to these as numbers.…
Watch at your own pace; start and stop where and when you need. Everything that Bryan breaks down he puts back together in chapters 4 and 5, where he shows how to apply what you've learned to a selection of popular bluegrass tunes that are important for the repertoire of any bluegrass guitarist.
Note: This course was recorded and produced by ArtistWorks. We are honored to host this training in our library.
- Chord theory
- The major and pentatonic scales
- Walking bass technique
- Reading tablature
- Beginning hammer-ons and pull-offs
- Beginning slide guitar
- Using a capo
- Playing traditional bluegrass tunes
Skill Level Beginner
1. Scales and Chord Theory
2. Walking Bass and Reading Tablature
3. Hammer-Ons, Pull-Offs, and Slides
4. Basic Bluegrass Tunes 2
4. Basic Bluegrass Tunes 2
ArtistWorks and Next Steps1m 15s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.