Bryan teaches the rhythm to this basic version of the popular fiddle tune Blackberry Blossom, one of the most commonly played tune in the Flatpick style. The tune is in the key of G Major. Note consistency and note quality are also focal points in this an
- Blackberry Blossom provides a great challenge…for someone new to playing bluegrass rhythm…and playing rhythm under these fiddle tunes here.…And basically as you look at the tab,…you'll see that every bar has two different chords in it,…so there's a lot of changing in the A section here.…So we wanna use that as a challenge…and recognize an opportunity to kinda establish…some expectations, make some commitments to sound here.…The key thing is just to keep things flowing,…to keep the rhythm and the energy of the song consistent,…even though we're changing a lot.…So that's the big challenge for someone new to this style.…
Basic boom chuck rhythm, we're in four-four time.…(guitar strumming)…So what I learned from that…is I hear that consistency of the boom-cha-boom.…Hear the sustain of those notes.…So even though I'm makin' lots of chord changes,…I wanna try to maintain that song.…That's gonna be my challenge.…
Okay.…Not a lot of room for walking bass lines,…not a lot of room for alternating bass lines.…So it's, again it's a good challenge of just getting…
Watch at your own pace; start and stop where and when you need. Everything that Bryan breaks down he puts back together in chapters 4 and 5, where he shows how to apply what you've learned to a selection of popular bluegrass tunes that are important for the repertoire of any bluegrass guitarist.
Note: This course was recorded and produced by ArtistWorks. We are honored to host this training in our library.
- Chord theory
- The major and pentatonic scales
- Walking bass technique
- Reading tablature
- Beginning hammer-ons and pull-offs
- Beginning slide guitar
- Using a capo
- Playing traditional bluegrass tunes
Skill Level Beginner
1. Scales and Chord Theory
2. Walking Bass and Reading Tablature
3. Hammer-Ons, Pull-Offs, and Slides
4. Basic Bluegrass Tunes 2
4. Basic Bluegrass Tunes 2
ArtistWorks and Next Steps1m 15s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.