The modern Bluegrass classic Big Sciota is introduced and analyzed by Bryan, he also performs the tune at 75 beats per minute. This is a basic version of the rhythm but will still challenge you with building a solid picking pattern and a smooth stream of
- I want to cover the basic cord changes here at Big Sciota.…For students here that are new to Bluegrass,…new to flat-picking, just double check as you read along…with the tab here, you see the cords changing.…So, I'll just play the rhythm part of Big Sciota…and then we'll talk a little bit about it.…So, I'll count it in one, two, three, go.…(guitar strums)…Repeat. (guitar strums)…B section. (guitar strums)…There's your repeat. (guitar strums)…Okay, so a couple of things going on here…to be aware of,…play it at a fairly slow tempo,…but there is still a kind of a quick change…immediately as you jump into the downbeat here.…
You play a boom-chuck on the G.…(guitar strums)…And then, quickly to a D cord,…(guitar strums)…and then back to G,…the melody. (guitar strums)…You pull the rhythm for that like…(guitar strums).…So, it's important that you really spend some time…thinking about those downs, the boom-chucks…being consistent.…(guitar strums)…And again, as you move your fingers from cord to cord…you really want them to be there before the downbeat.…
Watch at your own pace; start and stop where and when you need. Everything that Bryan breaks down he puts back together in chapters 4 and 5, where he shows how to apply what you've learned to a selection of popular bluegrass tunes that are important for the repertoire of any bluegrass guitarist.
Note: This course was recorded and produced by ArtistWorks. We are honored to host this training in our library.
- Chord theory
- The major and pentatonic scales
- Walking bass technique
- Reading tablature
- Beginning hammer-ons and pull-offs
- Beginning slide guitar
- Using a capo
- Playing traditional bluegrass tunes
Skill Level Beginner
1. Scales and Chord Theory
2. Walking Bass and Reading Tablature
3. Hammer-Ons, Pull-Offs, and Slides
4. Basic Bluegrass Tunes 2
4. Basic Bluegrass Tunes 2
ArtistWorks and Next Steps1m 15s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.