Pull-offs are another type of embellishment that give you two notes with a single pick stroke in the opposite way a hammer on works. A very useful and commonly used element in Bluegrass rhythm and lead playing, this lesson will get you started with the ba
- The next element that we're going to introduce here,…that's specific to strong flat picking,…it's called the pull-off.…We covered the hammer-on,…and now we're working with the pull-off,…which is basically the reverse action.…And the basic move here with a pull-off, I'll show you.…We hammered on, right, from the open D, to E.…Right?…So the hammer-on, it's the same sort of concept…where you play the E,…and you don't wanna play the open D.…
The hammer-on hammers into the note.…The pull-off pulls off the E,…into the open D.…So the basic move, and I'm exaggerating it a little bit.…I'm playing the E,…and not playing the D.…And overhead, it looks.…What you'll notice is I'm allowing,…when you play the string, it sort of creates,…you can feel the vibration under your finger.…The trick is to keep your finger on the finger board.…
And we talked about a rest stroke with the pick.…And it's a rest stroke with the finger here,…because I'm actually pulling into the string below.…So I'm pulling into the third string from the fourth string.…
Watch at your own pace; start and stop where and when you need. Everything that Bryan breaks down he puts back together in chapters 4 and 5, where he shows how to apply what you've learned to a selection of popular bluegrass tunes that are important for the repertoire of any bluegrass guitarist.
Note: This course was recorded and produced by ArtistWorks. We are honored to host this training in our library.
- Chord theory
- The major and pentatonic scales
- Walking bass technique
- Reading tablature
- Beginning hammer-ons and pull-offs
- Beginning slide guitar
- Using a capo
- Playing traditional bluegrass tunes
Skill Level Beginner
1. Scales and Chord Theory
2. Walking Bass and Reading Tablature
3. Hammer-Ons, Pull-Offs, and Slides
4. Basic Bluegrass Tunes 1
5. Basic Bluegrass Tunes 2
ArtistWorks and Next Steps1m 15s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.