Before we talk about how to pitch a label it’s important to understand the process of getting signed to a label. In some ways, you could analogize the signing process to a courtship or budding romance. “Hey, I really like what you are doing”. That does not mean you are getting married, only that the romance is starting.
- Now that we understand what it is…the labels are looking for,…you're probably dying to go out there…and pitch them right now.…Before we talk about how to pitch a label,…it's important to understand this process…of getting signed to a label.…The old fairy tale of the cassette tape…getting picked up in the pile,…and the artist getting signed,…immediately died with those cassette tapes, I think.…In most cases,…getting signed happens over a period of time.…In some ways,…I think you could analogize the signing process…to a courtship or a budding romance.…
If you're out building a foundation for your career…by recording music, videos, and playing gigs,…you have a chance to get on that label's radar.…The most likely way that that's going to happen…is when an A&R scout finds your content…on the web or in a club.…As a little bit of side advice,…make sure that you make it clear…where somebody can contact you…if they like what they see and hear.…Now, if and when you catch a label's attention,…you'll likely get an email,…or perhaps you'll get a direct message…
In this installment of An Insider's Guide to Today's Music Biz, Steve Rennie explores the role of record labels in the music business. He starts by talking about the different types of record labels and what they do, from marketing to manufacturing and radio promotion. Then you'll learn about why you need a record label, how to get a record deal, what a music contract will look like, and how the signing process works. As a little bonus, Steve gives you some insights on your commitments and compensation (advances and royalties) once you get signed.
- Understanding how record labels run
- Finding a record label
- Meeting with A&R and business teams at a record label
- How record labels promote your music
- Negotiating a record deal
- How record labels recoup costs