There is a ton of discussion in the music business today about whether artists need a record label. So let’s talk about why you need a label. A label gives you some scale. They have an existing infrastructure. They have expertise in all the key areas. They have leverage because of their rosters. Another reason you’ll need a record label is for those big connections at radio.
- There's tons of discussion today in the music business…about whether you actually need a label or not.…Let's talk about that idea of why you might need a label.…It's been my experience that in the music business,…more often than not, big is good.…Succeeding in the music business is a huge job.…If you want to succeed at the highest levels,…you're going to need an army to compete.…The bigger and badder your partners are, the better.…Imagine you're fighting a war…and it's you and your bandmates…fighting against an army of invaders.…
Left to your own devices,…you're likely to be outmanned and outgunned,…and you'll probably get killed along the way.…But imagine you've got a radio…and on the other end of that radio…is an aircraft carrier with jets and missiles…and all kinds of hell to unleash.…Now you've got some scale.…Now you've got some stick.…Now you've got a chance to win.…That's what a label is.…A label gives you some scale.…
It gives you some stick.…Your ammo in the music business is money.…Labels provide the money that fuels the battle.…
In this installment of An Insider's Guide to Today's Music Biz, Steve Rennie explores the role of record labels in the music business. He starts by talking about the different types of record labels and what they do, from marketing to manufacturing and radio promotion. Then you'll learn about why you need a record label, how to get a record deal, what a music contract will look like, and how the signing process works. As a little bonus, Steve gives you some insights on your commitments and compensation (advances and royalties) once you get signed.
- Understanding how record labels run
- Finding a record label
- Meeting with A&R and business teams at a record label
- How record labels promote your music
- Negotiating a record deal
- How record labels recoup costs