Before I let you out of here I want to leave you with some thoughts about what you can expect now. Getting signed to a record deal with a real record label is not the end of the game. It’s the beginning. Once you do sign to a label you will have to compete with all the other artists on the label for attention and resources. If you are an artist, make the best record you can. You need to have a clear idea of who your artist is and how best to present it. When there is a fight over an issue, let your professional team deal with the ugly stuff. When you do disagree, think back to our big picture lesson “The Best Idea is Your Idea” and take the time to try and make your idea their idea.
- View Offline
- Congratulations, you've defied all the odds now…and you've signed to a real record label.…Take a bow; I'll wait.…You deserve it.…Before I finish on record labels,…I want to leave you with some thoughts…about what you can expect…now that you're on a record label.…First, getting signed to a record deal…with a real record label…is not the end of the game,…it's the beginning.…Too often I find a band or an artist thinks…that once they've signed to a label,…that their work is done,…when in fact, it's quite the opposite.…
Now is where the real work…of building a sustainable career begins.…Everything you've learned up until now…was just preparation for what you will face going forward.…Once you do sign to a label,…you will have to compete…with all the other artists on that label…for attention and resources.…Now, I know when we met with those label folks,…they all painted a glowing picture…of how much they loved you…and all the things they were going to do for you,…and I think they meant it.…But the reality of it is,…you are not the only artist on the label.…
In this installment of An Insider's Guide to Today's Music Biz, Steve Rennie explores the role of record labels in the music business. He starts by talking about the different types of record labels and what they do, from marketing to manufacturing and radio promotion. Then you'll learn about why you need a record label, how to get a record deal, what a music contract will look like, and how the signing process works. As a little bonus, Steve gives you some insights on your commitments and compensation (advances and royalties) once you get signed.
- Understanding how record labels run
- Finding a record label
- Meeting with A&R and business teams at a record label
- How record labels promote your music
- Negotiating a record deal
- How record labels recoup costs