Understanding the terminology of podcasting is essential to getting started. In this video, Richard Stim provides a short definition of podcast terms including podcasts, podcast feeds, podcast content, metadata, podcast distribution and podcast aggregators. He shares distinctions and a few examples to help viewers have a good foundation for the discussion ahead.
- View Offline
- [Voiceover] Before I begin,…I want to talk briefly about podcast terminology.…When I refer to a podcast,…I'm talking about a series of audio…or video files presented as episodes…and downloaded to a portable player.…What distinguishes a podcast…from any other collection of downloadable files…is the delivery system or podcast feed,…also referred to as an RSS feed.…When I talk about podcast content,…I'm referring to all of the material…presented in your podcast, blog,…and any related app, including audio, music,…images, and metadata.…
Metadata is information contained in your feed…that shows up in the player's podcast player,…such as the program title and cover art.…When I talk about podcast distribution or syndication,…I'm referring to how your files travel from your server…to the end user's player.…Distribution is typically accomplished…by submitting your podcast feed to podcast aggregators.…iTunes is, of course,…the biggest and most popular aggregator…with over one billion podcast downloads.…
Okay, that's enough terminology.…
DISCLAIMER: This course is taught by an attorney (or other instructor) and addresses US law concepts that may not apply in all countries. Neither LinkedIn (including Lynda.com) nor the instructor represents you and they are not giving legal advice. The information conveyed through this course is akin to a college or law school course; it is not intended to give legal advice, but instead to communicate information to help viewers understand the basics of the topic presented. The views (and legal interpretations) presented in this course do not necessarily represent the views of LinkedIn or Lynda.com.
- Choosing the right name for your podcast
- Using music and interviews in a podcast
- Understanding government regulations
- Responding to complaints
- Generating podcast income
- Registering podcast trademarks and copyrights